Sunday, October 28, 2012

The big 40!

Back in August, I turned forty.  A few weeks earlier, I got an email from my gym about their 90-day weight loss challenge.  I saw the email pop up, immediately clicked on it & registered.  I figured it was as good a time as any to try to get my butt back to the gym - since I hadn't been there in over a year & half.  I went to weigh-in on Aug 4th to get going.  Of course, I didn't stay to workout (some habits are hard to break!)  Got an email from my trainer, Joe, welcoming me back & wanting to set up an appt to meet with him.  He has been my trainer since day 1 back in 2007 and is really good about staying in touch if he hasn't seen me around the gym.  At the weigh-in, I had to come up with goals for the 90 day challenge.  It is easy to come up with them, but harder to achieve!  My ultimate goal is to lose 65-75 pounds.  For the 90 day, I decided on 40 (to go with my age!)  Knowing it was going to be tough, I cut myself a little slack & said I would get completely focused when I came back from the beach in late August. 

When I got back from the beach, I hit the gym with a passion (or as well as I could with crazy work hours).  Met with Joe & did strength training to get me back in the swing of things.  I couldn't sit or walk down stairs for a few days - my muscles were not happy with my return to the gym (or they were screaming for joy!)  September was pretty good for me to get to the gym.  Followed the eating plan from Joe & working out helped me drop 17 pounds.  Then came the golf tournament & a girls weekend away.  I didn't go crazy, but got lazy about going to the gym.  It was so easy slip out of my early to bed, early to rise routine.  I still set the alarm for 5am, but have been hitting the snooze buttons a few too many times!  

Went in yesterday morning & did a 5K on the treadmill to see if I had improved.  I did an indoor 5K at the start of the challenge & my time was 50:09.  At about the 6 week point, I did another with a time of 45:37.  Yesterday's time was 43:30!  Even though I haven't lost the weight to reach my goal, I am moving in the right direction.  At one point, I was the top female loser at my gym, but I have been passed by another motivated lady.  With the final weigh in six days, it will be tough to drop enough weight the right way, but I am going to try!

I signed up for Commitment Day on January 1, 2013 sponsored by Lifetime Fitness.  They will have a training program for the 5K for free to all who sign up (you don't need to be a member of the gym).  Training starts 2 days after the weight-loss challenge ends, so it will be good for me to stay in the habit of going to the gym.  And the training is at night, so I don't need to get up at o'dark thirty to head there before work (although, I still may!)

Want to join me on New Year's Day?  Here is the link to sign up!  Commitment Day - January 1, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment