Since the gym was closed last week, I knew the first workout would be a tough one, but I wasn't prepared for this at all. I am training using heart rate zones - I wear a heart rate monitor & have 5 zones (5th one isn't reached thankfully!) Workout 1 this week was called Endurance. It wasn't the usual one with intervals - it was full out 3 miles of going at your AT (anaerobic threshold) or within 5 beats without going over. For me, that means going at 5.2 mph on the treadmill with no incline. The first mile was okay - did that in 12 minutes, switching between 4.9 & 5.2 mph. After that, I started getting tired. I paused the workout for about 30 seconds to give my legs a break. I didn't think I could make it for the entire 3 miles. Ended up finishing the 2nd mile after another 12:30 or so. Mile 3 was proving to be a challenge - my legs didn't want to cooperate. After 1/2 mile, I was ready to turn the machine off (after taking two 30 breaks). I reduced the speed to 3.5mph and said to heck with staying at the AT! Then after another 1/4 mile, I decided to ramp up the speed & go 5.6 for that last 1/4. Finally it was all over after a total time of 37:05. I was so proud of myself for not stopping and also for going that hard for so long. I don't recall ever going over 3 miles on any of my previous workouts. Now I guess I will have to keep pushing myself on future workouts in order to improve my stamina. If you told me a month ago I would be able to do 3 miles in under 40 minutes, I would have laughed. So far I am not sore - hoping I can walk when I wake up in the morning!
Run Amuck registration is a week from tomorrow on the 15th - hope I get one of those 3,000 spots! Who is going to join me on the journey?
No comments:
Post a Comment