Sunday, June 30, 2013

Mid-year already!

Time truly does fly when you are having fun.  The last few months have slipped by in the blink of an eye.  All of this running has improved so many things in my life - my health (obviously!), my confidence (yes I can run 8 miles!) and my view of myself.  I went out to happy hour with some people from the gym the other night after a fantastic karaoke spin class.  I had been at a PGA event earlier in the day & was talking about that & brought up the Joey C Cup golf tournament that Matthew & I host every October.  I was asked what charity it was for & I quickly said, Life with Cancer - it is in memory of my brother, sister & mother - and I didn't go any farther than that in my explanation.  Then I was asked what happened, so I briefly explained & one of them said they didn't realize this had happened.  It was a great moment (in an odd way) - these people knew me & only me! You see over the last decade, I have defined myself as the person who lost their brother, sister & mother to cancer.  When I met someone, I would always throw them into early conversations with people just so they would know.  Was I saying it to get their sympathy or was it so it would explain who I was or was I hiding from the world?  I don't know, but I do know that over the last few months, I have been feeling like the old Melissa - the free spirit who wasn't much of a worrier.  I loved to sit back & have a good time.  Not to say I haven't been having fun this past decade, but there was always something holding me back.  Was it fear?  Sadness?  Loneliness?  I don't know the answer & that's okay with me because I don't need to know everything. I think the running & other workouts have allowed my mind to focus on something else & unknown to me, my subconscious has been reshaping the way I think & view myself.   I am grateful for it because I miss the old me (except for the extra weight - I don't miss that at all!) 

So, if you want to learn a little about the Joey C Cup, click here & you can read a little more about it.  I hope to have the prices & sponsorship information ready by mid-July.  The tournament this year will on Monday, October 7 at the Ospreys at Belmont Bay in Woodbridge.  Hope you can join us!

On another note, a friend of mine posted today they had ridden 500 miles this month.  Made me step back & see how far I ran in June.  Apparently I went just over 53 miles - not too shabby!

------------------------------------
January - 36 miles
February - 26-1/2 
March - 28
April - 49
May - 40-1/2
June - 53-1/2
July - ???

Upcoming races:
July 4th - Let freedom run 5k
October 20th - Army 10 miler
November 16th - Richmond Half Marathon

No comments:

Post a Comment