Saturday, October 5, 2013

Lessons learned

As you may know, I started running 11 months ago.  On a whim, I signed up for a 5k training program at my gym.  I wasn't really sure what I expected to happen, but I was willing to try it out because I needed to do something to get moving in a healthy direction.  I met a great group of people who have since become very good friends.  They offer encouragement & a shoulder to lean on when things get tough.  I signed up for races & have a couple coming up soon (Army 10 Miler & the Richmond Half Marathon).  What really happened though is I found that I actually enjoy running (shocking!)  I may not be the fastest, but I go my own pace.  I beat myself up when I walk, but I know I have come a long way.  I couldn't have done it on my own.  I have made some wonderful friends since November &  I seem to spend more time at the gym than I do at any other place other than work.  While running is a solitary sport, I love the group social runs at my Lifetime club.  These people have become very close friends & probably have no understanding of the impact they have had on my life.

So a few months ago, I heard about running relay races.  I looked into them, but didn't have a team & thought I would love to try one of these some day.  About a week & a half ago, I was talking to my friend at the gym, who was doing a Ragnar Relay October 4-5th & I said that it was my goal to do one of these relays - hopefully in 2014.  Just a random conversation & I didn't think about it again.  A few days later, I get a call from my friend & she said there was an opening on the team for the race on Oct 4-5th.  I was shocked - I never thought I would get a call to join a team, let alone for a race in a week. Fortunately, I was able to get up the courage to say yes I would LOVE to join the team for Ragnar.

Fast forward to the event.  Ragnar Relay DC is a 199 mile relay race starting near Cumberland, Md & ending in Washington, DC at National Harbor.  I was joining 11 other teammates for the relay.  Each person runs 3 separate legs of the race.  My legs totaled 14.8 miles & two would be in the daylight & one at night.  I knew I would be able to cover the mileage - might not be at a pace I wanted, but I would give it my best.  I was most anxious about the night run.  I was to run 4.9 miles at about 1:00 am.  I will admit I was more than a bit nervous about leaving the brightly lit exchange area with a reflector vest, blinking red light & head lamp to light my way & keep me visible on the road.  Everyone had been telling me running at night was the best part of the race.  I was not so sure about it - I had never run alone at night before.  Heck, I bought my headlamp 3 days before the race & hoped it would work!  Turns out, everyone was right - it was awesome to run at night in the dark.  As soon as I left the exchange & was away from the bright lights, I settled into a rhythm & went on my way.  About a mile or so in, my van passed by to make sure I was doing okay.  They knew I was apprehensive about the night run.  I waved to them & said all was fine.  I was the first runner in my van & I think I had one of the easier legs in the dark - all paved roads (down a country road into a town & neighborhood)..  My vanmates had longer, more challenging runs & I was happy to sit in the van and watch from there.  They are all very strong runners & it was great to see them do so well.  The great thing about the relay is your teammates & vanmates.  Your vanmates are there with you the entire time - offering support, reassurance, and laughs - lots of laughs!  Without them, it wouldn't be nearly as much fun.  You pile in a van, head off to your starting point & start running when it is your turn.  During the down time, you eat, relax and/sleep (except for me - no sleep in 38 hours & counting!)  When you are out on the course, you are not truly alone - your van (and others) will drive by & stop for you to offer encouragement & support (imagine cheering & cowbells).  I may have been out on the legs by myself & my steps were the ones covering the mileage, but everyone was out there supporting me even if they didn't know me.  It was a great experience & I hope to be able to many more relay races in the future.

So remember, you can't do it alone.  You need help to achieve your goals.   So get out there & reach for the stars.  All it takes is belief in yourself & a great group of friends & anything is possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment