Back in January, I started training for my first triathlon of the year, which was scheduled for March 23rd. I was ready to go & the day before it, I fell and messed up my shoulder. I couldn't move my arm well enough to swim, so I decided not to participate. Instead I spent the day as a volunteer at the event & had a blast cheering on all of the competitors. I admit it was disappointing because I had trained so hard, but I realized it wasn't the end of the world & I was already signed up for my first sprint triathlon coming up in May. Turns out when I fell, I separated my shoulder/collarbone. Go big or go home is what I like to say & I held true to that. I have a few more weeks of recovery to go & I am not able to ride outside & running has proven to be a challenge. I have had to find creative ways to stay active and minimize the use of my left arm. I stopped my strength training sessions, but have been able to get back in the pool & on the indoor bike this week. I have never been happier to get to the pool (and that is saying a lot!) There are lots of one arm drills & working on my kick. Plus an excuse to spend extra time in the hot tub! I am so used to working out six days a week with double workouts 2-3 days. This injury has forced me to cut back & really think about what I can do. I need to make sure I take my time & heal properly otherwise I will only be hurting myself. Thankfully, one of my friends has been able to help me focus on what I CAN do & not what I can't. It would be easy to feel bad for myself & focus on the negative, but I am trying to keep a positive attitude. Before too long I will be back to 100% & doing all the things I was before.
This weekend I was supposed to run the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler. I decided to switch to the 5K. This way I will be able to test out the running legs & see how my shoulder reacts. If it is uncomfortable, I will be walk, but I am hoping I will be able to run at least some of it. Whatever happens, the weather looks nice & I will be happy to be outside!
No comments:
Post a Comment