Thursday, March 20, 2014

Just show up & see what happens

As I have written before, I went to a swim clinic back in early January.  I never had formal lessons in my 41 years - mom was my swim teacher back in the day.  I knew enough to keep myself from drowning & could swim breast stroke, but that was pretty much it.  Learning to swim freestyle has always been on my list of things to learn. So I went to the clinic knowing it was going to be a challenge & hoped that I would give it 100% instead of my usual habit of trying, not doing well & quitting.

Once I got over the anxiety of the first time in the pool & trying to breathe, it was tolerable. When I wasn't busy inhaling water, I was swimming (or something like it!)  I'm sure it wasn't pretty & I am glad I couldn't see what I looked like.  I am afraid if I could, I wouldn't want to continue. Good news is, I have stuck with it.  It has been one of the hardest things to improve on.  Running & biking are so easy to improve, but there are so many things to think about in the pool, it is hard. Breathing, head position, arms, kicking, breathing some more - the list goes on & on. During January & February, I tried to get to the pool at least twice a week. Then there was another swim clinic in early March. Earlier that day, I was told to start working on my push offs from the wall so that I could glide through the water & save a little energy in the process. Thinking to myself - okay, that sounds like a good plan, I will work on that.  So we were going through different drills in the pool (my favorite was the one-armed drill!)  Then near the end of the clinic, it was announced that we were going to learn flip turns.  Hahaha - funny, joke on me!  Well, I couldn't get out of the pool, so I played along.  It was easy to do a flip in the water, but let me tell you - it is really hard to find the wall!  I tried 3 times & barely got a toe to touch on the last one. In the end, I didn't execute a proper flip turn, but it opened my eyes to the fact that I could learn it. I tried one again on Sunday & missed the wall again.  I keep turning too early & then I get frustrated.  One of these days, I will do it & then I will wonder what the hell took me so long!

If you are one of those people who is like a fish in the water - I am jealous & impressed. Know that I am watching you and trying to remember all of it so that I can try it out myself. Nowadays, you will find me at the pool three days a week trying to put it all together. Next up for me is a snorkel to help me with my breathing. Then maybe an open water swim later in the spring? So happy that I took that first step back in January to sign up & show up at the pool!  Great things are ahead, I can feel it.

Happy spring & remember to smile, it makes people wonder what you are up to!


No comments:

Post a Comment