Friday, July 18, 2014

Swim? Ice cream? Or both?

If you told me a year ago I would be writing about swimming & how good it is for me, I would have said you were nuts.  Back then, the idea of swimming laps was so daunting, but I wanted to do it. Every summer at the beach, I would try to swim "laps" at the resort pool.  I would be able to go about 4 strokes (free-style) until I had to breathe, then I didn't know what to do and I would start walking across the pool then try again.  It was probably really funny to watch. Today, thanks to the countless pointers & demos by my coach along with lots of practice, I am enjoying it & look forward to going to the pool. While I still have a long, long way to go, my swim is improving.  

Since January, in an effort to lead a more active life & have fun while doing it, I have been working out 5-6 days a week & have dropped a little weight. I haven't changed my eating habits much, so it doesn't surprise me that I haven't lost much.  Back in June, I upped my swim volume - practically doubled it.  Since then, I have noticed my weight is slowly dropping again. I don't know for sure that it is the swimming, but I am not going to question it. My endurance is improving & I am much more comfortable in the water. Going to work on adding a fourth day of swimming each week & hope I am able to make this a routine part of my life. I need to keep it up so that I can be confident of my swim when I sign up for my next triathlon.  I like to joke that my weight loss is because of all the ice cream I eat, but I am guessing the swim is helping.  By the way, I am NOT giving up my ice cream, but I may limit the number of times I eat it during the week.  Either that or I am going to have to swim every day!

1 comment:

  1. You work out several times a week so you mos def deserve to enjoy ice cream. Deprivation always sabotages a healthy lifestyle.

    I really want to swim because it's great exercise and will build my endurance. But I am at ground zero and am too embarrassed to stumble through it at the neighborhood pool.

    ReplyDelete