On January 1st, I set some goals for myself. The obligatory drop 40 pounds along with some very specific fitness goals. I can say I haven't dropped the weight - some yes, but not all. Going to stick with the fact that there is almost half a year left to reach that goal! As for the other goals, three of them were: run a sub-8 minute mile, swim across Lake Monticello on July 4th and finish the Marine Corps Marathon with a smile on my face (preferably under 5:30). I am happy to say that I have managed to reach two of these goals already!
Sub-8 minute mile: This goal came about after a track workout last fall. Back in high school, my fastest mile was 7:40. In October, I ran one in 8:13. So I decided that I needed to see if I could break the 8 minute mark with training. Last week, I was doing my weekly track workout & was running a long interval. I thought I had turned off all of the alerts on my watch, but apparently I didn't. When I had completed the first mile, my watch beeped & I looked at the time - 7:45! Holy moly! I did it & I wasn't even trying to. I wanted to stop & pat myself on the back, but I realized I still had a bit more to run for the workout, so I kept on moving & finished in 15:00:03. When I finished, it was one of the first things I mentioned to my coach (once I caught my breath!) So exciting to be able to share it with him because he is one of my biggest supporters & spends a great deal of time telling me I can do things. He pushes me to the limit & I am always surprised when I meet or beat my goals. I am looking forward to running a timed mile & seeing what time I can come up with!
Swim across Lake Monticello: July 4th is the only day they allow people to swim across Lake Monticello where my dad lives. About five years ago, my sister-in-law, Ragga, decided to take part. Every year since, I have wanted to join her, but never did because I was not comfortable in the water. That's a bit of an understatement - I was terrified of it! I decided it was time to suck it up & overcome my fears. So I started swimming in January & have been steadily improving each time I get in the water. July 4th was here, so I packed up my suit & headed to the lake. I arrived a few hours before the swim & tried not to think about it. I knew I would have no problem with the distance - 400 yards. It was being out in the middle of the lake & having nothing to around me but water. I kept telling myself it would be over in 15 minutes (or faster if I didn't screw up!) We needed to get across the lake to the starting point, so we headed over in the boat. When we got there, we jumped out & headed to the beach where we got in line to get body markings done. And then we sat and waited. I was surprisingly calm - don't know why, but I wasn't going to question it! Before I could back out, the swim started. We waited until the faster swimmers were out & then we started on our way. It was going pretty well & I was surprised at how comfortable I was. There were a few moments when I had doubts, but I told myself to suck it up & put my head in the water & swam. I told myself this was the perfect practice for my sprint tri next weekend at Colonial Beach. There was no option but to swim & get over it. I had set my watch to alert me when I was halfway across & when it buzzed, I was happy & it gave me a little more motivation. There were some people to swim around, but I was enjoying it. As I approached the end, I remembered that I was supposed to keep swimming until I my belly (or chest!) hits the sand & that's what I did. There were people standing up & walking through the deeper water, but I kept going until I couldn't swim any longer & stood up in the shallow water. I finished the swim in 10:37 which was a nice surprise. I was expecting it to take at least 12 minutes if not longer. Ragga finished right behind me & came in 2nd in her age group. I was so happy that I made the commitment to the swim & happy that I stayed focused on improving over the last 6 months. Next year's goal will be to swim it faster!
For the 3rd goal - finish Marine Corps Marathon with a smile - I have a few weeks left to go on that one - the marathon is 16 weeks away. That seems so soon & I guess it is, but I have no doubt that I will be able to meet my goal time with a smile. My coach's training plan is proving to be a success & I have no doubt that with his help, I will be able to meet all the goals I set this season & beyond.
Thanks for reading & have a great day. Remember to smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to!
Seems that you were successful in many things, including having a great day! You should be proud of all you have accomplished! Keep up the hard work, and the inspiring posts!
ReplyDeleteThat's awesome, Mel! Pride in one's own accomplishments is good fir the soul.
ReplyDelete