Saturday, August 23, 2014

Great expectations

My birthday was earlier this week & I had great expectations for how the week was going to play out.  I knew it was going to be busy at the office with vacations - I would be doing the job of two people while playing catch up from being in Minnesota the week before. On the work front, it was tough - long hours & not getting things done in the pace I like, but by quitting time on Friday, I had finished with the important stuff & only brought home a few things to work on over the weekend. I'll call that a win.
I had been out of town from Wednesday until Sunday & the before I left town, I had only been able to squeeze in one workout.  Granted I was going to Minnesota to take part in the Great River Ragnar Relay, so I knew I would be getting some running in - 17.3 miles to be exact. I had a little free time in Minnesota & was able to head to the Lifetime in Chanhassen & did a little swimming. Then, thanks to my friend, Dave, I was able to meet up with Art Johnson, the activities director for all of Lifetime (their corporate offices are in Chanhassen). We talked about the indoor tri program & a little bit about the one I did the week before. Great River Ragnar was good - it was one of my best running relays to date, but the sun was brutal.  I had the flattest sections on the course but I also had almost no shade and the heat index was over 100. All in all, I was happy with the times & had a good trip. When I got back Sunday night, I packed my gym back for spin class the next morning. I was looking forward to getting back into my routine. One of the things that keeps me going back to class, are the friends I have made. I know I've said it before, but without them, I don't know if I would be where I am today. We keep each other accountable. After class, I hopped on a treadmill for a quick run.  I knew it would be a challenge to get my 40 minutes in, so I was shooting for 20 then head off to work. While I was running, a friend from class came up & joined me. Having a partner makes the time pass quickly & before I knew it the 20 minutes was over. Tuesday meant track practice for me - just me running in circles at Woodson.  It was a good workout for the legs & put me in the right frame of mind.  That night, another friend asked if I was going to run before class on Wednesday morning. I said sure, why not.  I still had some running to do since I was short on Monday & it was my birthday, so I should do what I wanted. I decided to run for 30 minutes & she was going to meet me for the last 15 then we would head to class. It was the perfect start to my day - a great 3 mile run followed up with a challenging cycle class.  My friend said I was motivating her to run.  Little does she know she was motivating me to get out of bed at 4 in the morning to go run before class.  If I wasn't meeting her, I would have probably hit the snooze & just gone to class. Each and every day, all of my friends motivate me.  I love when people ask me to meet them - then I have no excuses for not going because I can't let them down. The next day was my birthday swim with my two favorite training buddies. Someone came up with the idea that I should attempt to swim 42 100s in honor of my 42nd birthday.  Yeah, right - that would take all day!  The farthest I had ever swam was 2200 meters or so. I modified my goal to 2200 plus whatever I could do would be a bonus.  I ended up swimming 2600 meters (or 1.6 miles!) It was a nice birthday present for me to have my friends come & train with me.  Yes, they swam a bit farther & faster than me, but we are all there to support each other & that's the most important thing. After the swim, I came up with a new swim goal.  I want to swim 4200 meters before my next birthday, but I would really like to be able to do it before 2015.  
This week exceeded my expectations.  Usually I dread the birthday week & get depressed because I miss my mom,Karen & Joe & wish they were here to celebrate with me.  This year was so different. I still missed them & was a bit sad thinking about how they weren't here to celebrate with me, but I made time for myself & what I wanted to do. I had pie instead of cake (along with an awesome impromptu dinner with friends). I went to bed early so that I could workout the next day with friends.  It was all about what I wanted to do - if people wanted to join me that was fine. If not, that was fine too - I was still going to do it. Previously if I didn't have someone to do something with, I wouldn't do anything.  Now, I choose what I am going to do and if people join me that is a bonus & makes it much more fun. 
So if you are starting to work out & need some motivation, find a workout buddy (or three!)  Knowing that someone is expecting you to show up will get you there & before you know it,the workout will be done & you will be on the road to a healthier you!  Have fun with it & don't be afraid to try something you aren't good at (like me & swimming!) With practice, anything is possible.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad this year's birthday was different for you, more positive, and that you have wonderfully supportive friends! Happy belated birthday. MUAH!

    Jess TC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mel-I am with you 100%. Since I started coming back to the gym this winter the friends I've made have made all the difference! So glad you're one of them!

    ReplyDelete