On June 19, 1999, I completed my first (and only) marathon. I trained with the Leukemia Society as a race walker for 4 months and completed the Mayor's Midnight Sun marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. The venue was one of the main reasons I signed up. When I got home, I quickly signed up for another in Bermuda in January 2000 (ended up doing the half). While watching the news on a Sunday morning in October, I saw the Marine Corps Marathon was going on. I decided then that one day I was going to do it. Fast forward 15 years and that dream is about to become a reality - in five days I will be at the start line for the 39th Marine Corps Marathon. This journey began back in early February this year when I was one of the lucky ones who were able to register for the MCM 1775k race that guaranteed access to the marathon if you finished. Of course, three weeks before that race, I separated my shoulder and ran only one time before the 11 mile race. I wondered if it was a sign that I wasn't supposed to do the marathon, but I said no way, got my shoulder taped up to keep it in place & went to the race. Race day came & I did better than I expected. I signed up for the marathon the same day. My coach, Dave, build a solid training plan with the marathon as my A race along with a few sprint triathlons and three Ragnar Relays. But since August, it has all been about the marathon. I stopped my weekend bike rides last month & I miss them, but I understand why they stopped. No point in training for months then not giving your legs the proper rest to be in top form on race day. My 20 miler could have been better, but it could have been worse. I followed it up the next weekend with twelve miles at the track - talk about mental toughness training. After I was done (which I actually enjoyed a lot!), I knew I would be able to reach the finish line. I've done all the training and now it is time to rest up. I think this is more challenging than the training sometimes. It leaves a lot of time to think & I'm trying to not focus on Sunday. I am trusting in my training & know I will get a personal record when I cross the finish line because lets face it - I wasn't very fast 15 years ago. The question is how far ahead of my previous time will I be?
*******************
-William Faulkner
So excited for you!
ReplyDeleteThanks!
Delete