It's been a tough few weeks since Colonial Beach. Instead of taking care of myself & giving my body a break after CB, I went right back to training - calling my swim day a rest day. Needless to say, I paid the price. As Culpeper International approached, I looked back at my data & realized I hadn't taken a day off since before CB. No wonder my body wasn't happy. It was unintentional, but it happened. Culpeper was a good training day. It was a personal best (not saying much since it was only my second!) and I came in 4th in my AG which was where I figured I would finish. My swim was solid even though my shoulder/arm was out of sorts & way faster than I thought I would be (love my speed suit - best purchase ever!) Bike was good. Since I haven't raced much, I don't really know where I should be speed wise on different courses, but I'm learning. My run was the tough part - as it has been for the past few races. I know that I can run without slowing to a walk, but it seems my mind was constantly winning that battle when it came to races. It is something that I have struggled with since I started running because when I began, I was heavier & had no endurance, so I actually needed to walk because I couldn't sustain a running pace. I know I can run a race without slowing - I did it in Richmond last year & at the Army 10 Miler. I know it's all in my head. My legs are strong & ready to run but my mind needs to be stronger. After Culpeper, I was talking race pacing for the run with my coach & he gave me some very honest feedback. Basically, when I got the run, it would fall apart & the approach was that we needed to figure out how to manage that. Initially, when I heard it, I got pissed off & thought - what are you talking about!?!? Then about five minutes later, I realized he was absolutely right. Every race, I fell apart on the run. I hate it when he's right, but that's why I have him. He sees what I don't & is willing to tell it to me straight. Needless to say, it was the wake up call I needed. I have changed my attitude about my training. I am turning the focus inward to myself instead of worrying how I compare to other athletes that I train with. I am working on giving a solid effort on everything I do. Getting the quality workouts done instead of just checking it off on the training plan. Just going through the motions is not going to help me have a good race. I finally have a decent paces set for the bike & run for Augusta. I have completed a few bricks in the last couple weeks that show I can get a solid run in - there hasn't been any walking & I focus on keeping a steady pace. It is giving my the confidence that I need. I turned 43 this week & ran my fastest mile ever that morning. Good way to start off a new year if you ask me. My hamstrings have been tight ever since that mile, but it will pass - it always does. Lets be honest - everything friggin' hurts, but I have made a conscious decision to not talk about it while I'm training. In the past, I would allow my mind to zoom in on the negative & then it would be all I can think of. Now I am choosing to ignore it as best I can. I try to remind myself that I am lucky to be healthy & able to do all that I am doing. Yes, my body hurts, but if it was easy, everyone would be doing it. So instead of shut up legs, I'm saying shut up brain, take a break, enjoy the moment & trust the training! 35 days to Augusta.
No comments:
Post a Comment