Join me as I try to carve out some time for myself in these hectic days: a little bit of fitness, a little bit of the things that matter to me, and hopefully a few laughs & a little less stress!
Friday, September 18, 2015
Finally!
The last few weeks were full of long rides, long runs & some challenging bricks. My race sim was 2 weeks ago. The bike was pretty solid, but the run didn't go as well as I wished. I learned a lot & said a few prayers people were telling the truth when they said the run course is shady! After I wrote down what happened, I moved my focus towards my 5th VTS race of the season - Patriots Sprint in Williamsburg. There were four of us racing that morning & I was looking forward it - especially the run. Plus we had a sherpa with us & that makes everything better! I didn't go into it with much of a plan other than to have fun and to get out of T2 before Jeff finished the race. On race morning, they announced it was wetsuit legal. Woohoo! I have brought my suit to every race this season in the hopes that the water temps would cooperate and I finally got my wish. After a good warm up run, we headed to the water to get ready to start. Jeff, Dave & Kathryn were in the waves before me as usual. My swim was pretty good - no doubt helped by the wetsuit. My bike was fast, but when I saw Jeff on his way back, I knew it was going to be really tough to get out on the run before he was finished. On my way back to T2, I saw Dave on the run & knew that Jeff was finished (or really close). So I made a new goal to get out on the run before Dave finished (silly goals, but they tend to motivate me!) As I headed out of transition to start the run, I hear Erin yelling my name & look to see Jeff standing there
with a big smile. I laughed & kept running. A little ways down the road, I saw Dave coming towards me, so I was happy that I made it out on the run before he finished. I was feeling good & looked at my watch. At the 1/2 mile mark, I was at a 8:20 pace, which was way too fast so I tried to slow myself down. I knew if I stayed at that pace, I would run out of gas well before the finish line. About half way through the run, I was passed by a woman in my age group. She was the first one I had seen on the run. I decided I was going to stay right behind her. After about 30 seconds, I realized that was stupid. I picked up my pace & passed her. I wasn't going to let her catch me again. With half mile left, I saw the time. I knew I was on pace for a personal best for the run & that helped me push a little harder. As I turn for the finish line, I hear Erin cheering me on. Then I hear Happy by Pharrell Williams over the speakers. All I could think was please don't let this be the song playing in Augusta when I finish! After the race, I took my stuff to the car & came back to find out how everyone did. I hoped that I had done well enough to get on the podium, but didn't want to say anything to the others. As I walked up, Dave said everyone placed & it didn't register at first. He said I came in third. I was happy & relieved & I think he was too. It has been hard to watch everyone else do so well all season and not have the race I needed to be in the top three. To be honest, I hadn't raced any other race as well as I did this one. I didn't earn a spot at the others because I didn't push myself - I thought too much about the podium before & during those other races. This time, I didn't make any time goals, I just told myself to go & I did. It paid off. I finished in 1:29:53 & my 5k was 26:52, which made it a PR by 36 seconds. I had set my previous record at another sprint in May. I'm curious how I would do in a stand alone 5k race without the swim & the run beforehand. All in all, it was a great day at the races. I learned a lot about racing & myself on Sunday. I really am only racing against myself. If I push myself & have the right attitude, I will improve & improving will lead to better finish times. It won't always mean a top three finish, but if I do everything I can, then I won't second guess my abilities. Now it's time to taper & rest up for Augusta. Can't believe my first half Ironman is 9 days away. I've done the work, now it's time to trust the training. When the clock starts, it's time to go & not stop until I get to the finish line.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment