Friday, September 23, 2016

8 days to Cambridge


What the what??? Race day is almost here! Seems like it was just yesterday that I decided to switch from Ironman Louisville to Maryland. All the training has been done & now I have a little over a week until the big event. Time seems to have slowed down a bit over the last week with fewer workouts to give my body a chance to recover.  The lighter training load has given me time to think (sometimes too much) about how far I have come & what I have ahead of me. I'm not gonna lie, it has been a challenge to get to this point. There were days when I questioned my abilities & days where I wanted to stay in bed & skip the workout. That was a new feeling for me because I never think about skipping even when I have been injured. But this season has been long. New orthotics completely changed my run - my quad issues disappeared almost over night & I now have "even" legs. With outdoor training starting in March, I slowly built up the miles on the bike. Blue Ridge camp was an eye opener & prompted me to rethink a few things. Then came summer training - long rides on the weekends, swimming for an hour plus, long runs on Tuesday. 70/7 & 90/9 brick workouts began to feel normal. All in all, it has been a fun season. There were some challenges, but those are to be expected & even embraced as they toughen you up. I spent time training on my own as well as with friends & teammates. Now comes the time to trust all of my training and get it done. As I type this, my fingers started to tremble. Deep down, I'm anxious about Oct 1st. I try to stay away from thinking about it - if I spend too much time on it, my brain gets overwhelmed & anxiety creeps in. But I'll be okay, I have a great support system in my friends, teammates & coach. Without them in my corner, it would be a struggle. Last year, a friend of mine shared her strategy for the marathon portion of her Ironman - she was dedicating each mile to a person who helped her on the journey. I have decided to follow her lead. I haven't figured out the miles yet, but I have come up with some of the people who have helped me get where I am today (in no particular order) & I am forever grateful that each of you are in my life. Know that I'll be thinking of you on October 1st.
  • Emily - you welcomed me at the pool when I showed up for my first indoor tri back in 2013. Your friendship & humor is a bright spot at 5am. One of these days, I'm going to get you to sign up for a sprint!
  • Team FeXY - Your dedication to training pushes me to train harder. From winter trainer sessions to group rides, you all help to make training fun! Everyone's willingness to share their experience helps so much. Couldn't ask for a better group of people to surround myself with! 
  • Chuck & Jeff - you guys keep me in line & don't let my cranky side stay around too long. Thanks for all the high fives, fist bumps & pushing me out of my comfort zone. 
  • Rogue training partners - early morning track workouts, rides & swims wouldn't be the same without you. Your dedication to training forces me get out of bed some days. Thanks for keeping me accountable.
  • Matt, Patti, Ben, Eliza & Dorte - you are my second family. I don't see you as much as I would like, but I am so grateful for the time we spend together. Those lazy afternoons at the pool gave me time to relax & recover. Hot dogs never tasted better & the Sunday sundaes were the sweetest coolest treats around!
  • Connie - Life likes to throw challenges our way. Our talks both at the gym & at church help me make sense of things. Now if we can just figure out what a rest day is.
  • Jeff - Being sherpa at your first Ironman inspired me to follow in your footsteps. I am so thankful for the trips we have taken to races, the Chipotle bowls we've shared & the laughs. Thanks for all of your advice & for not laughing too hard at all of my questions. You, Erin & I need to get to a Caps game this season. Can't wait to cheer you on in Louisville!
  • Georgann - you have faced so many challenges in the last year & a half & you always do it with a smile. I am so happy you are at the office so we can have our morning chats.  Thank you for making sure I don't miss them because if I do, I'm a cranky bitch!
  • Jacque - ninja! I have so loved the bike rides, swims & runs at the track this season.You always have the right thing to say & remind me why I started this journey. Can't wait to train with you again next season. Long live the flip turn!
  • Nancy & Stephen - I remember starting spin classes & you were some of the first people I met. I loved our happy hours in the cafe. You are always there with a smile & kind word - means the world the me. We need to get smoothies again!
  • Christine - my Fairfax swim partner & dinner buddy! You always know when I need to grab some food or head to the winery. Thanks for listening to training stories & for always be available on short notice. Your Middleswarth deliveries have kept me going this season.
  • Stephanie - you are an amazing athlete & I'm so glad we are friends. I am grateful for our early morning swims and spontaneous dinners. You always have a minute to chat even when I know you have somewhere to be. Thank you for your friendship & encouragement. Even though I know racing isn't easy, I still think you make it look that way!
  •  Michelle D - thank you for your confidence in me – you always know the right thing to say & keep me focused on what’s important. When is your first sprint? 
  • Cupcake - So very happy we have become close this past year. You have taught me so much about this journey & I am so thankful for those crazy long training days when you waited for me to finish. You know the challenges I am facing & you always make the time to show your support.  You are awesome - love ya to pieces!
  • Kathy V – You were there for my first OWS sprint in Colonial Beach & I hope to get a chance to race with you again. Love your sense of humor. And yes, I will always keep asking when you are racing with me again!
  • The ducks - thanks for the best road trips ever - so much laughter no matter what is happening!
  • Tricia, Dave, Ashlyn & Declan – Thank you for making me feel like part of your family. The trips to the zoo, dinners, welcoming me when I stop by unannounced – I feel like I’m with family. The last few years have been challenging for me & you are always so willing to help me get through it.
  • BRBC crew - thank you for your support when I felt like I was failing. I knew it wasn't the end of the world, but it sure felt like it that weekend! I learned a lot & am so thankful for all of the help I received. 
  • Lifetime crew - Joe, Steve, Derek, Lance, Cindy, Shareen, Laura, Catherine, Rose, Jen: 4 years ago I stepped back inside the gym & made the decision to be active again. I never thought it would lead to this. Over the years, you all have held me accountable & helped me get to where I am today. 
  • Kathryn - my favorite Brit! Our rides this season have been such fun. AC was a blast & I can't wait to cheer you on in Louisville - you are going do great! And remember, there's only one more hill!
  • Rob - knowing you are out on the course with me is a comfort - just hope I can catch a glimpse of you on the run. Thanks for your help in getting me to race day. And thanks for not leaving me on Berlin Turnpike - no biker left behind! 
  • Dave -First & foremost - thank you for introducing me to triathlon. Your enthusiasm for the sport lit a fire in me & I am eternally grateful for it. Training with you has molded me into an athlete and changed so much in my life. You've always believed in me and you've taught me to believe in myself. So lucky to be able to call you coach & friend. I'm gonna try my best to follow the plan!
  • Dad - You will probably never read this, but know that I love you & am so thankful for all that you do for me. I can always count on you to ask how training went & love those post-training calls on my way home.
  • Mom, Karen & Joe - I know you are with me every step of the way, but I so wish you could physically be here to share this with me - you would love this adventure I am on!
As I always do when I post about upcoming races for my team, I'll leave you with the fact that I'm sure I have forgotten someone but it wasn't intentional. This weekend, I'll go over the plan, take a ride on the race wheels, start packing & visualize my race. Time to trust the training & have some fun - can't wait to head to Cambridge!
-----------------------------------------------------

Desire plots the course,
Courage goes the distance,
Commitment finishes the race!


-----------------------------------------------------


Triathletes Prayer
Surround me, Lord, with your angels of strength, stamina, and speed.
Water will soon thrash around me and encompass my path.
Isolate me from harm; help me navigate to solid ground.
May my transitions be swift, and offer recovery with every labored breath.
Be my tailwind, Lord, when the pressure is up ahead.
Inclines may be steep and break me down, but You will restore my soul.
Keep my focus on You as the road stretches out with no end in sight;
Each turn of my legs, moving closer to You and my goals.
Run beside me, Lord. Remind me I never run alone.
Unlock my potential to finish strong as a reflection of your greatness;
Never forgetting, You are the ultimate prize.

No comments:

Post a Comment