Sunday, October 2, 2016

Ironman Maryland

Races don't always go the way you expect them to & Ironman Maryland was no different. Usually it is something that happens with my plan. This time around the weather was a huge factor. Over 9" of rain in the days leading up to the race resulted in flooded roads & the wind on the Choptank created dangerous swim conditions. The night before the race, they announced the bike would be shortened because of the flooding. We thought it would be 104 miles (turned out to be 100), On race morning, just as we were supposed to start, the winds picked up. The kayakers were having a tough time in the water. The start was delayed by 30 minutes. All of us in our wesuits with no where to go! Half an hour later, they announced the swim was cancelled & we would have a time trial start for the bike. I can't say I was surprised. I did a practice swim on Friday and it was tough then & it looked worse on race morning. I thought to myself - would this still count as an Ironman? Should I back out & see if I could switch to Louisville? I headed to get my gear bag & changed into my bike clothes. Dave loaned me his race wheels & I was riding a disc. As we were waiting a few people were saying it was going to be really hard for me to ride with it because of the winds. Having done a few rides already with the wheels, I said thanks & it was going to be fine. (On the entire ride, I think I only saw 2 or 3 women using a disc.) Once I was on the bike, I was able to settle in and click off the miles. The winds were strong & never seemed to let up, but I was comfortable and had no problems with the disc. After about 30 miles, I realized my power was a smidge higher than it was supposed to be (max of 170. I was at 183 - whoops!) Even though I felt okay, I dialed it back. Ended the ride at 168 NP - just where I wanted it. I really like riding out there - flat & fast.  The winds did not disappoint - I feel like there was no more than a 60 second break from them. I was really pleased (shocked more like it!) with my bike split - 5:39:55 (17.65 mi/h). I followed my nutrion plan pretty well & felt okay until about 10 miles left in the bike. Not sure quite what happened, but all of the sudden I had gas (TMI - sorry!) I took some stuff in transition to help with it, but it just got worse. After 2 gels (about hour & half into the run), I was having problems getting anything in. My legs were doing okay, but every time I tried to eat or drink, I would spit it back out. This went on for about an an hour and I kept telling myself to just keep moving - it didn't matter if it was walking or running, just keep moving forward. At mile 16, I ran into my teammate, Christina, and told her what was happening. She immediately gave me some gasx which dissolves (instead of the pill form I take). It worked immediately in calming my stomach. Finally, I was able to drink fluids, but still didn't try any foods. at mile 22, I started to feel hungry & was able to have some pretzels & a banana to get me to the finish line. The other big challenge on the run was the flooded road. There were three sections of road that were flooded - at times up to my shins. And since the run course is 2-1/2 loops, I think I hit them around 8-10 times. It slowed you down & then your shoes & socks were completely soaked. Some people were grumbling about it. After my first "puddle" about 100' long, I was irritated, when I saw the second one, I started laughing. Even joked about trying to swim through it. I worked at making it fun since there was no point in letting it ruin my race. I was lucky too - my shoes & sock, while wet didn't retain any of the water so I didn't need to deal with squishy shoes & no blisters! As for the plan for my run, it was way off base. I have always struggled when I get to the run with my follow through. It is one of my main goals for next year - improving the run off the bike. At mile 20, I saw Jackie - her words to me touched me so deeply.  She said something like this - I was heading out for the last 6 miles - they were going to be dark, but everyone would all be waiting for me at the finish. She told me to get to it & come back to the light. I laughed and headed off. She was right, a few of those miles were pretty dark. Less people, not much talking. Time to think. Mile 22 to 25 I spent thinking about where I was & how far I've come. When I hit mile 25, I realized I was going to finish. I tried to pick up the pace (not as easy as I thought) and felt like a load had been lifted. As I passed the last aid station, teammate Kevin was there to cheer me on. Then I hear Dave calling out. He comes running up with my bike (like he was practicing transitions!) We chat, fist bump, get a picture and then I head off to the finish. When I get to the finisher's chute, it is an incredible feeling. So many people cheering you on and the announcer calling out my name. It was an amazing day. There is an energy like no other at triathlons and it is such a great feeling to cross under the arch. I was having so much fun that I needed to look up my finish time online because I didn't remember it. 12:05:12 - marathon was over 6 hours which was not what I wanted and I have room to improve on it next time. I learned a lot on that course. You need to be able to adapt to changing conditions and roll with the punches. You can be happy or sad - it's entirely up to you. I know that I chose to be positive & that made the day so much more fun. Of course, all the support I had out on the course made it a great day - so thankful for all of my friends who were able to come to the race. It is an all day event & to have people that will do that is incredible. They are like family to me & I love them all. I hope to be just as supportive to them next week in Louisville.

While on the run (and even before the race started), there were so many opportunities to be negative about the swim being cancelled. Today, I've read so many people say we are not Ironmen because the distance wasn't 140.6 and there was no swim. That really disappoints me and I go back and forth on it. I do know that it really doesn't matter if I am an Ironman. I went out an rode 100 miles & then completed a marathon. It was pretty amazing & I had the time of my life. I swear I smiled almost the entire race. There is so much joy to be had when you are doing something you love. When I was out on the bypass for the first loop, I was talking with someone & I said I was living the dream. Another athlete passed by & said he had that on his Road ID. Yes there were people complaining, but really - what good does it do? Hell when do you get to do a marathon with flooded roads? Maybe I have a relaxed attitude because I knew I wasn't beating anyone but myself. I am already planning a few goals to work towards for next season. For now, I'm going to sit back, have some ice cream and think about where to do my next Ironman!


No comments:

Post a Comment