Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Project Race Weight - Day 2

Change is never easy, especially if you are used to making excuses for the choices you make. I have been doing it for years. Sunday I decided it was time to focus on my nutrition choices. Of course, I was barely home on Sunday to prep any food, so I hadn't set myself up for success on Monday. I threw together a turkey, ham & spinach wrap for lunch and grabbed a few apples & was out the door. Once I got to the office, I convinced myself that it would be okay to have some candy from my co-workers stash. Worst idea ever! I know better. After the first piece, there was a second & a third & so on. I know that as soon as I have sugar or chocolate, I always want more. One piece is not enough. So today, I decided there would be no trips to the candy dish. I started the day with a decent breakfast after my swim & by decent I mean it had eggs along with a little corned beef hash in honor of St. Patrick's Day. Oh hell, that's a lie! I always have eggs & hash after I swim. It fills me up & then I don't crave the sugar/chocolate at the office. Snack wise, I was smarter today - I brought a bag of almonds, cashews, dried cranberries & apricots. It was kind of boring, but it did the trick. I used to mix in chocolate with it but figured it wasn't a good idea considering the candy fixation the day before. Plus my good friend, Jeremy, was messaging me to make sure I wasn't eating the candy. It helped so much to know someone out there gave a darn about my success. Gave me the resolve to not dive into the candy dish that sits on my own desk (yes, it is still on my desk - in fact there are two along with some twizzlers & lifesavers). As the day was drawing to a close, I had a call to switch the network over at the office & I was suddenly starving!  Ugh, no time to find something new. I walked out to the chocolate dish & told my co-worker I was taking a piece & I didn't care. He laughed while I looked at it and walked away empty handed. I realized I wasn't hungry for chocolate. I wanted something salty. Alas, there was nothing available, so I went back to the almonds. Thankfully the network switch went smoothly (this was round 2) and I was able to finish up my work and head out for the day. I had thawed some chicken, so it was ready to cook when I got home. I would have preferred a slice of pizza for dinner, but I cooked up the chicken with mushrooms & broccoli. Nothing extravagant, but it serves the purpose of fueling my body. I bought a new cookbook today - Racing Weight Cookbook (geared towards endurance athletes). I didn't get the other book that explains everything, but hopefully I can figure out what I should be getting each day. At first glance, I like the pictures & I found a few recipes I would like to try. I'll let you know how they turn out.

Monday reminded me that I need to plan (fail to plan, plan to fail) & would like to avoid it in the future. It will take work, but it will be worth it!

***************************************************

My PSA for the day: Ladies, I had my annual exam today & need to schedule my mammogram. Please make sure you do self-exams and/or visit your doctors. I don't want to see any more people go through what my sister, mother & grandmother went through. Guys, if you are still reading (bravo!) - make sure to examine yourself too because I remember what my brother went through.

No comments:

Post a Comment