If you have never run Richmond, you should. They call it America's friendliest marathon. There is great crowd support. My favorite sign on the course: We may be strangers, but we are really proud of you! Might have to use that one at the next race I am a spectator.
Join me as I try to carve out some time for myself in these hectic days: a little bit of fitness, a little bit of the things that matter to me, and hopefully a few laughs & a little less stress!
Sunday, November 15, 2015
Richmond - do no harm
Last November, I got the marathon bug after finishing Marine Corps & then the Richmond half. I convinced some friends & we signed up to run the Richmond Marathon. It was the first race I had on my calendar for 2015. It was before I knew I was doing Augusta 70.3. After the half Ironman, I was tired. We all toyed with the idea of switching to the half if it was still open. If you know my history with Richmond, I always seem to have some sort of ailment going into the race. Each time, I haven't been able to run right before the race & go to the start not knowing what was going to happen. This year was no different. My quad was acting up & causing discomfort around my knee. I know why it happens & this off season, with the help of my doctors, I am going to see what we can do to prevent it. Thursday, I was able to run without any discomfort. Friday too. I thought, great, this marathon is going to happen. I headed down to the expo & checked in with the guys to see what their thoughts were on the full or the half. They decided to stick with the full, so I had to decide what I was doing. I figured it was a 50/50 chance that I would be able to complete the marathon comfortably & the half was the same chance. I didn't know what was going to happen when I started and I wanted to do the full, so I stuck with it. Saturday morning was chilly & sunny - perfect weather for running. I was excited to start & a little nervous. I told my coach, Dave, that I was going to do the full and if something went wrong, I would stop. I was familiar with the course, so I knew how to get back to the finish line to meet everyone if something went wrong. Crossing the start line, I said a little prayer & started running. Keeping an eye on my pace to prevent a repeat of Marine Corps last year, I headed out at the right speed & soaked in the sights & sounds around me. Like my last long run, I didn't turn on my music. I have found that I really enjoy running without music & it helps me keep my pace where I need it to be. My leg hurt during the first mile or so, but before long, I was warmed up & felt good. When I hit the 10k mark, I was surprised how great I felt & was pleased with my split (1:06). Thought to myself that I may just get the sub 5 hour time goal if I could keep moving. Then came the mile down hill. It sucked, I let gravity take control & sped up. My quad & knee were screaming at me. I'm surprised I didn't fall down. Everyone one else seemed to so happy to be going downhill except me. I was never so happy to start heading up even the slightest incline to cross the James River. I think that was the moment that did me in. I wonder if I should have walked down the hill, but I didn't realize until it was too late. After I crossed the bridge, there was another short downhill and I wanted to cry. I didn't know what to do, so I kept moving and tried to ignore the pain and the tears in my eyes. That lasted for a couple miles. By the time I hit mile 11, I felt like I was bordering on doing something stupid. I walked a bit to see if that made any difference and started to run again on the inclines. At mile 12, I tore off the timing strip from my bib. I knew it was foolish to continue & switched to walking. In the end, I did over 16 miles of the course and then headed to the finish area to meet everyone. It was a really tough decision & I know it was the smart thing to do, but it sucks. I don't want to be injured. I have to figure out this imbalance & get it resolved now so that I will be ready to start training for Ironman Louisville. Looking back, I should have switched to the half. I think I would have had less trouble doing that course because the downhills are not as long & I knew the route. Who knows but it doesn't matter because I can't go back & change it. Sitting here today on the couch, my leg is still jacked up. I'm fortunate that it only affects my run & not the bike or swim. This is my favorite time of year to run - it's cool & beautiful & I'm sad because I need to hang up my running shoes for a while to let it recover. Doing no harm means I didn't finish the race I started. It's a shitty feeling to have & I hope I don't have to make that decision again. I will complete the Richmond Marathon, but it won't be in 2016. Time for hot tub & the off season.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment