Today, I raced. It was my third triathlon in seven days. It's been a pretty good week - 3 races, 2 podiums & 3 personal bests. It was a great day & it was more - I was reminded of how much triathlon has changed my life. This race was where it all began for me - it was my first tri in 2014. A few weeks ago, I convinced my friend, Michele, to sign up for the race with me. It was going to be her
first tri. I was so excited that she wanted to sign up & race! Riding to and from the race with her today reminded me of why triathlon makes me happy. For me, it boils down to two things - doing my best & the friendships I have made. Early on, I wasn't very positive towards myself & would always end up doing something to derail my efforts at races. I guess I didn't believe in myself. This year, something seems to have changed. I want to do my best. I prep smartly & race hard. I've come a long way and I've still got a ways to go, but I'm really happy with the direction I'm heading in. Secondly & most importantly, the friendships I have made have changed my life. Winter usually brings me down and then dealing with family shit in April, I started to struggle. When the things started going south, my friends were there to firmly
remind me that first & foremost I needed to take care of myself (thank you Dave & Steph!) I
said I would, but I also knew I was on the verge of reverting back to my
role as caregiver. After a week of day trips and struggling to find the
balance, I could see myself putting my needs on the back burner. The old thoughts that it was selfish to put myself first were starting to take hold and I wasn't happy. Everything was overwhelming me & I didn't even want to race. Thankfully I did and the last seven days have helped tremendously. I got to spend time with some great friends both Saturday & Sunday. Whether it was time chatting before or after the race or on the drive, it was much needed conversation for me. I get my energy from my
friends & I'm lucky to have some awesome people in my life. I don't know where I would be without them. All of these people are in my life because I made the decision to make myself happy. I'm blessed to know them & I know they've got my back.
One of my new year's resolutions was to keep a happiness jar & I've been putting notes in almost every day this year. Today's was easy - Seeing Michelle finish her first tri! Some days are harder than others, but I have found if you find one thing that can make you happy, it is a good start. What makes you happy?


No comments:
Post a Comment