Monday, March 3, 2014

Swim/bike/run or triathlon workout? Is there a difference?

Yesterday's workout was a fun one. We are reaching the end of the performance cycle classes (only 2 more to go!) and they are getting long!  Before class, I met up with some friends at the pool.  We were going to do a 10 minute time trial since the indoor tri is coming up in a few weeks. So after a 10-15 minute warm-up, it was time to go. As some of you know, swimming is not easy for me AT ALL! I like being good at things & this is one where I don't excel (yet!)  My goal for the 10 minutes was to swim 5 full laps (25 meter pool).  I did a bit better and finished 7 just as time ran out. Brought a smile to my face when I heard the distance.  It isn't going to win me any medals, but I was happy (more on that later).  I hopped out of the pool & headed to change into dry clothes for the cycle class. 45 minutes later, we start the class. It is a fun group of people & today we were going to watch American Flyers, which I had never seen before.  It was great to watching a cycling movie to pass the 2:45 class. Before we knew it the class was over & I had gone over 58 miles (not the same as outside, I know, but still kind of cool). Even better when I got home & looked at my results, it showed I actually did what I was supposed to do regarding power & heart rates. It is getting easier & I don't need to think about it - I just keep pedaling. After a few oranges & refilling the water bottles, a friend & I jumped on the treadmills for a quick run to finish the day. Run was a little over 1-1/2 miles in 16 minutes. Not too shabby considering what I had done earlier. 

Back to the swim: I was calculating the distance in my head & it was confirmed that I swam more than I would have to do in a triathlon in May that I am thinking about (Salute to the Military sprint triathlon).  This triathlon has a 300M pool swim - which I was thinking would take me at least 20 minutes!  After realizing I could swim it, I made the decision to sign up.  Of course, I still need to get a bike, but that is a work in progress (or will be when it finally stops snowing!) I hope this will be the first of many triathlons to come!

There are still a few spots available for the indoor tri on March 23rd if you are interested (10 minutes in the pool, 30 minutes on the bike & 20 minutes on the treadmill). Click here for more info & to register!

Question for you - would you call yesterday's workout a tri or simply a swim/bike/run workout? I am going with swim/bike/run because there was so much more time on the bike or it is because I am seeing them as individual sports & not one?

No comments:

Post a Comment